Thursday, January 31, 2013

Bulletproof Coffee

Today is my first full day off, which means I finished work at 6am.  I workout every morning whether I work the night before or not.  This morning, I had my long run scheduled this morning and ran 12 miles at the YMCA.  In order to be able to turn my schedule around and sleep at night, I aim to sleep somewhere between 1.3-3 hours.  I got to bed around 9:30 and was back up at 11:30am.  Turn around days are a drag.   I am usually dragging ass after a couple hours of being up.  I usually turn to coffee for a pick me up after I wake up.  I decided to try something called Bulletproof Coffee this morning.  Bulletproof Coffee is something I learned about on a nutrition podcast I listen to regularly.  It's a high fat coffee that you'll find in many Paleo Diets.  I've never had it before and figured today would be the day.

It's rather easy to make, you first start with a high quality coffee, preferably organic Arabica.  After it's done brewing you add a cupful to a blender and add some (roughly 1 Tbsp) butter, preferably grass fed.  That's the bare minimum.  You can also add coconut butter, cinnamon, vanilla, or stevia.  I added about 1-2 tsp of butter, about 1 tbsp of coconut oil, cinnamon, and a splash of vanilla.  You blend it up to thoroughly mix the ingredients and enjoy!

It was a lot heavier than I expected.  One cup of coffee became very filling actually.  Drinking a cup of Bulletproof Coffee for breakfast as opposed to a high carbohydrate breakfast can help keep you filling fuller longer and leave you energized throughout the morning.  Below are some benefits to drinking Bulletproof Coffee.

1. Cinnamon: helps stabilize blood sugar and prevent high blood sugar spikes.
2. Coconut Oil:  contains medium chain triglycerides which is an excellent source of long term energy and increases your body's ability to burn fat.
3. High Fat Content:  eating (or drinking) foods with high amounts of healthy fats can keep you feeling fuller longer preventing those hunger pangs that usually come 2-3 hours after eating a high carbohydrate meal.  Healthy fats also keep your brain alert and when coupled along with the effects of caffeine can keep you alert and energized longer.

So next time your looking for a new way to start your day, try a cup of Bulletproof Coffee to energize your mornings and keep you full and focused all day long!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment