Friday, September 26, 2014

Maya's Big Accomplishment

I realize that many of you may have seen Sarah's post on Facebook last week, but personally this is too big for me not to follow up with.

At the beginning of spring I told Sarah that my ambitious goal for Maya was to have her riding her bike without training wheels before her 5th birthday in October.  This was actually pretty ambitious and I honestly didn't think it would happen.  She started riding her bike last summer and we started on square 1....literally.  It started out with me rotating the pedals with my hands as I walked/jogged along side her.  This past spring we bought her a new bigger bike since she has been growing faster than a weed.  This spring she was right back at square 1.  She some how found a way to regularly fall off her bike WITH the training wheels on...yea, don't ask me about that one.

Both Sarah and I made it a point to go on walks as often as possible this summer and have Maya bike along to practice riding her bike.  She progressed quickly and loved it.  About a week ago, I had to work all weekend while Sarah was on call throughout the weekend.  On weekends like this, we send the girls over to Sarah's parents due to our difficult work schedules.  On Saturday evening, Sarah called me with the good news... Maya had officially learned to ride her bike without her training wheels!  Sarah's mom worked with her a lot on Saturday and by the end of the weekend she was riding confidently on her own!

Now, I just need to start training her so her legs can get used to running off the bike, because I know next summer she will be doing her first ever triathlon!



No comments:

Post a Comment