Sunday, April 26, 2015

Jailbreak 5k - Race Report

This race has become a staple in my race schedule, regardless of my work schedule.  For one, this race is actually very well run and offers some very nice perks.  Second, it supports a great cause, the Waushara County Crime Stoppers.  And lastly, they offer a separate award class just for law enforcement officers, called the Bloodhound Challenge.  I have been fortunate enough to win the award the past 3 years.  I have been debating the idea of letting someone else win the award, but I guess I'm just not willing to give the award to someone else.  I want them to win the award away from me.  I think the only way I would forfeit the award to someone else, would be for extenuating circumstances were to prevent me from being at the race, such as a family obligation, or if my work schedule simply would not allow it.  This year, I was able to take Friday night off of work and get a good night sleep the night before and I was excited for the opportunity to claim the Bloodhound Challenge for a 4th year in a row.


Training for This Race

Much like my race report for the Oshkosh 5k, I had no real specific training plan for the months leading up to the race.  With only 6 days between races, I really focused on recovery and staying fresh to maximize my odds of having a strong race.  On Monday I hit up the pool for an easy swim.  Tuesday was a hellish day, work-wise.  I ended up running all over the valley for various appointments and obligations, all on no sleep from working the night before.  I made Tuesday an off day and then an easy 4 and 3 mile run on Wednesday and Thursday, respectively.  On Friday, I was back in the pool for another easy swim.

Prerace

I got to bed pretty early, around 9:30am and had my alarm set for 6:00am with plans of getting on the road around 6:30-6:45am.  Friday night, I did something I usually don't do on a night before a race...I had a beer....but only one!  Saturday morning came and I was up and out the door by 6:45.  I got to the race site at 7:50, which left me plenty of time to register and warm up before the 9:00am race start time.  At 8:00am, I ate a Chocolate Chip Hammer Bar along with 2 capsules of Hammer Anti-Fatigue Caps.  After allowing some time to pass, I started my warm up.  It was my usual warm up, consisting of a 5 minute jog to loosen up, followed by some twisting lunges, high leg kicks, followed by some more walking lunges.  I finished with another 5+ minute jog with some strides worked in.  I quickly switching into my race shoes, and made my way to the start line.

Nutrition Plan

My nutrition plan was simple, take in the Hammer Bar with the Anti-Fatigue Caps about an hour before the start of the race.  During the race, I bypassed all water stations, but started out with sucking on a Hammer Energy Surge when the race started.  I took in a second Energy Surge at the 2 mile mark to help give me the extra kick I needed during the final 400m.  

Gear/Equipment


Miles 0-3.1


 When the race started, I had very simply, yet specific goals.  One, to win the race and two, set a PR.  So when the race started I wanted to be in the lead, which I was.  The weather was similar to last weekend's race, with temperatures around 40* and 12mph winds out of the East (last week was 48* with winds 14mph out of Southeast).  After the first 400m, I heard a couple sets of footsteps close behind me.  At the 800m mark, a kid pulled along side me, it was the same kid that beat me last year with one hell of a final kick.  I immediately was determined to beat him this year.  I felt as though my fitness was were it needed to be to beat him.  Between miles 1 and 2 we were literally neck and neck.  At times we were running side by side.  At the turn around point (2.15 miles) it was on.  I feel as though we both knew one of us had to make a move to claim the lead.  Unfortunately, once again, it wasn't me that had any gas left in the tank to make the move.  At around 2.65 miles, he was in front and I knew that if I tried to stick with him, I'd surely crash and burn.  At this point, I just tried to do as much damage control and minimize his lead.  He beat me again, but I guess I had a small (very small) victory that day: this year I was only beat by 3 seconds, while last year he beat me by 4 seconds.  I placed 2nd overall, 1st in my age group (30-39), and once again was the 1st law enforcement officer to finish, reclaiming my title as the Bloodhound Challenge Champion!

Post Race

After the race, I was once again, left to sit by myself.  Sarah stayed back home with the kids as Maya had a flag football game, which I felt incredibly guilty for missing, especially after hearing that she scored her first ever touchdown!!!  I chatted with a few other 5k finishers to pass the time until the awards ceremony.  The Jailbreak Marathon, once again, held a great race, with one of my favorite post race atmospheres.  They are extremely supportive of the participants and the race organizers are truly there for the right reason - to raise money for a cause they believe in AND the participants!  On top of an extremely well run event, they offer a full post race buffet style meal (pulled pork and turkey, potato salad, and corn), along with really nice awards for both overall finishers and age group winners.  I realize that this race is run in the back woods of Wisconsin, but it really is worth the trip!


What's on Tap

As of now, I have yet another race next weekend.  This will be the first time I have run 3 races on back-to-back-to-back weekends.  So, once again, it's back to the game plan of maximizing recovery, while staying fresh and fast.  Next weekend I will be running the Neenah Duathlon (formally known as the Paper Discovery Duathlon).  This is one of my favorite multisport races as it is close to home, well run, and an enjoyable course.  The only hitch in my plan of maximizing recovery is a preplanned outing with some of my good friends from work on Friday night.  Normally, I avoid excessive alcohol for 1-2 weeks prior to any race and 4-6 weeks before any high priority race.  This will be my first time breaking this rule.  I will most likely keep myself in check, as I need to coach Maya's flag football team Saturday morning, but I'm sure I won't be 100% that morning.

As always, thank you for reading!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment