Monday, April 27, 2015

A New Chapter in My Life

I'm assuming by know, most people know this but.....I have taken a new job with the City of Kaukauna Police Department.  It's difficult for me to explain why this is rather hard for not only me, but my family as well.  6 or more years ago, I've never dreamed I would be where I am today.  Never did I imagine being a cop.  But, here I am, 31, 3 beautiful girls, gorgeous wife of nearly 8 years, and a successful career with the Winnebago County Sheriff's Office.  Over the past 4 and a half years, I have developed some very close relationships and have learned a lot about the job and lifestyle of being a cop.  Friendships that are completely different from other friendships I have developed over the years.  There's a kind of trust you build in this profession.  The kind of trust that doesn't come from just a few days of working together, but a trust that takes years to build.  The kind of trust where you just know that person will do the right thing when you are unable to.  Now, obviously, I will eventually make new friends, new relationships, but nothing will replace the friends I have made over the years at Winnebago.  A lot of the guys I have developed friendships with have been there for me since I started.  They taught me how to be a cop.  How to succeed in the line of work; not only on the job, but in my personal life.  To me, something you just can't forget.

Me leaving Winnebago has nothing to do with anything at the department, which makes this transition difficult.  It has everything to do with my personal life and family life.  I am giving up a lot by leaving Winnebago County.  But, like I said I want to work for my hometown and have always wanted to.  To me, there is a large sense of pride in this line of work.  The way I see it, my job is to protect, help, and simply be there for the community I serve.  I know that sounds extremely cliche, but its true.  I now get to work for the city I live in, the same city my kids live in.  I get to make a difference in my community, I get to make my city a better place to live.  I get to serve my hometown.

I can't tell you how many times I have asked myself (and Sarah), if I made the right decision.  Truth is, life doesn't hand you an answer book.  So, you just need to keep your priorities in mind and always remember what's important to you when making huge decisions.  Life is ever changing.  Who knows what life will throw my way this year, 10 years from now, 50 years from now.  You need to take life as it comes.  I am confident I made the right decision by changing departments.  My family is the most important thing to me in my life and I would do anything for them.  So I know this is the right move, no matter how difficult it may be.  Sure, I can tell you right now, I am making a lot of sacrifices by leaving Winnebago County.  I am giving up being a member of one of the best SWAT Teams in the state (IMO), a lot of opportunity for advancement, training opportunities, and probably working day shift anytime soon.  But, I am gaining a lot for my family.  I will be working a more family friendly schedule and now everything will be closer to home cutting down on time away from home.  Even though I may not be awarded as many opportunities with the City of Kaukauna, I know that eventually I will be given opportunities to advance my career.  But, instead of relying on my years of service with Winnebago, I will just be starting from the bottom again - and that will be tough.


It's going to be a challenge, not only for me, but for my family.  The uncertainty of my schedule, the inability to take days off, and going through another training process (even though I am responsible for training many of the new hires at Winnebago County).  I'll easily get over the differences between departments, because in the end the job is the same.  The most difficult challenge will be losing many of the friendships I have built over the years.  I love many of these guys like brothers and consider.  But, those friendships were built on more than just working together and I don't intend on losing them.

So, to the few guys who have been there for me over the years and helped make me the officer I have become, thank you, sincerely, thank you.  I'll miss working and training with you guys.  Stay safe brothers!


No comments:

Post a Comment