Saturday, October 6, 2012

Marathon Eve

Its the night before the race.  There's something weird about the last couple nights before a Marathon.  I finished my last training run on Thursday with an easy 4 mile run.  I ran with both the girls in the our jogging stroller.  That left me with an off day on both Friday and Saturday.  Off days do not come by too often for me.  I usually try to avoid them when possible.  If I do take a day off from training it usually is due to an unavoidable circumstance such as a minor "injury" or scheduling difficulties with work.  So taking a day off from training is a mental struggle.  It drives my wife nuts and I can't necessarily say I blame her, honestly.  I get cranky.  Now compound all the mental struggles with the stress of running a big race which I you have been training for more than a half a year for and you get the final 3 or so days before a Marathon.  Personally, I start questioning everything, from my daily nutrition, to sleep, to whether or not my training plan was good enough for my goals (which of course are questioned as well).  So here I sit on Saturday morning wondering all the what ifs....

  • Did I eat to much during my taper and put on unnecessary weight?
  • Did I train hard enough to meet my goal time?
  • Will my ankle hold up throughout all 26.2 miles?
  • Should have I done more?
  • Was my diet good enough throughout training?
  • Why didn't I _____________?
  • Why did I _______________?
  • Should have I stretched more on a daily basis?
You get the idea....

At this point in my training, I try to not focus on all of that garbage and try to stay positive.  But honestly, its easier said then done.  It seems like no matter what's going on in my life these last couple days, one of those questions pops in my mind and let the mental debating begin.  Everything I've ever read regarding a taper says to stay positive and look over your training plan which brought you to where your at.  Which I try to do and it helps, somewhat.  But what seems to help the most for me is to plan.  I am a big planner.  I plan everything.  I mean EVERYTHING.  I also tend to get into routines.  I plan my days, weeks, and months.  I hate the unknown.  I create training plans for everything I have ever done.  So it shouldn't surprise you when I say that I plan my day before the race as well as the race it self.  So in short here is my run down on the 24 hours leading up to the Marathon it self as well as the race.

Meals
I try to eat around 2500 calories the day before a race.  There is no need for a big "carb loading" the night before a Marathon.  You are better off increasing the percentages of carbohydrates in relation to fats and proteins the week leading up to race day.  But I'm not here to write a dissertation about pre-race nutrition.  I just know from lots of years of experience that 2500 calories will keep my hunger satisfied throughout the day without over eating.  So my day of food looked something like this (with times I ate and calories in parentheses)....
0600 - 10 Grain Oatmeal (140)
            Flax Seeds (90)
            Chia Seeds (70)
            Almond Butter (90)
            Buckwheat Honey (60)
1030 - Fat Free Greek Yogurt (140)
            Muesli (110)
            Pure Maple Syrup (50)
1300 - Sweet Potato (225)
            Organic Whole Wheat Bread (220)
            Almond Butter (90)
            Strawberry Jam (30)
            Coconut Water (120)
1530 - Pro Bar (393)
            Coconut Water (120)
1800 - 4oz Quinoa Pasta (280)
           Sun Dried Tomato Pesto (100)
           Whole Wheat Ciabatta Roll (150)

Throughout the day I also drank water with Nuun in to keep my electrolyte up and Perrier Water to keep my minerals up.  I find that if I don't plan out my day it becomes rather easy to eat too much.  I usually find myself in the "I'm running a marathon tomorrow so I need the extra calories" mindset.

The Day
I woke up around 0700 and got right around 8 hours of sleep.  Probably closer to 7 due to our 16 month old waking up a couple times throughout the night due to being very very congested.  I try to get a good nights sleep 2 nights before the race because I find that pre-race nerves usually have a negative impact on my sleep the night before.  So, after getting up and getting the girls ready for the day and feeding them breakfast and having a couple cups of decaff coffee with coconut milk creamer, we went to the Downtown Appleton Farmers Market.  It was perfect, chilly, but we were there for less than an hour.  I try to stay off my feet for as much of the day as possible the day before the race.  So, walking early in the morning for less than an hour isn't too bad.  We bought vegetables for steak fajitas later this week and headed home.  On the way out Maya feel and cut her lip right below her nose and was a wreck.  She was in tears and didn't stop crying until after we got home.  Sarah and I felt terrible for her.  After getting home and putting away our food, I double checked my clothes and luggage to make sure I didn't forget anything and then it was out the door to pick up my buddy Zill.  But before I left I had to kiss the girls good-bye one last time before the race.  After Maya feel she NEEDED to have a paper towel on her lip to help stop the blood and was adamant that it stay on her lip.  She wouldn't even talk let alone move, if it meant taking the paper towel off her lip.  So it absolutely melted my heart when she took the paper towel off her lip and gave me a soft kiss on my cheek.

After picking up Zill, we were on our way to the expo and packet pick-up at the Milwaukee School of Engineering.  We got to the expo at about 1430 and spent about 45 minutes at the expo just checking things out.  The expo was rather small for a bigger city marathon, but that isn't always a bad thing.  We then headed to our hotels for the night.  I stayed at the Hyatt (official Marathon hotel).  I stayed there for the benefit of a late check out and a shuttle service to the start line the morning of the race.  After getting to my room I set out all my clothes for race day and watched a little of the Badger game before heading down to the lobby to write this (free wi-fi in the lobby).  After I am done down here its back up to the room for a warm shower and stretching along.  I am planning on getting to bed around 8pm and hopefully asleep shortly after.

Tomorrow morning my alarm will be set for 0430.  I will then have my usual pre-race breakfast of coffee, toast, almond butter, honey, and a banana (about 590 calories) and then just sip on perrier water up to the start of the race.  I'll be wearing my New Balance 890v2's with white compression socks, Nike shorts (yes :) short shorts), black Under Armor long sleeve cold gear shirt, with my Nike running vest.  My main concern is that I stay warm, but not too warm.  So, we'll see how that outfit holds up.  As for the race, below is a detailed plan of my race fueling strategies (if you care to see).

As far as race goals, my #1 goal is to finish under 3:00.  I could cross the finish line in 2:59:59 and I will be absolutely ecstatic.  But, I am looking to have a fun race and come in at least faster than what I did in Boston (3:17).  It is supposed to be cold, with temperatures around 31 at the start of the race, so I am hoping the weather does not effect my race.  My strategy is to go out at a comfortable pace for the first few miles (7 minute mile pace) and then gradually fall into a 6:50-6:52 minute per mile pace.  I am notorious for running negative splits in my marathons.  So, I am planning on getting to the half way point in 1:31-1:32 and then running the final half in 1:26-1:28.  I will also have Sarah and the girls coming down bright and early tomorrow morning with my parents to watch the race.  I will be seeing them at mile 7.5, 17.5, and at the finish line.  Words can not explain what it means to have the support of my wife, daughters, and parents along the race course.  Lucky for me, I have the support of a loving wife to first off, let me do races like this, but also a wife who is willing to get up early with 2 girls under 3 years old, get them ready along with herself to leave before 6am just to watch me run. Sounds foolish, doesn't it?  Yea, honestly it is, and words can not begin to explain how much it means to me.  If you ask me its more impressive and probably more difficult than what I'm doing.   If you think about it, they say endurance athletes are crazy, so what does that say about the significant other that supports them???  So for that I say THANK YOU!

But, that's all I got for tonight - now its back to the room for dinner!  Check back soon for my race report!  Until then - Stay fit - Stay safe!



1 comment:

  1. Good luck Matt! I really enjoy reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete