Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Music, Motivation, and Mantras

I am very big on motivation. Those who know me or those who have seen my house, probably know this. In my house you'll find things that I have printed off with quotes, words, pictures, etc. Things to keep me focused on the end goal. I have these sheets on the fridge, next to my bed in my nightstand, and in my locker at work. I have a RoadID bracelet that has my contact information and then a second tag attached to it with nothing but motivational words. I consider myself mostly intrinsically motived - that is, I don't need outside sources for me to get out the door for hours of training before the majority of the world is even out of bed. Granted I use many things to keep me motivated or to remind me of why I do what I do. Some of these things include pictures, short video clips, words, posters, and music.
It's honestly tough to explain why I do what I do. I guess I have a very very addictive personality along with a combination of wanting to be the best. Sarah often asks me why can't I just be happy with 30-60 minutes of exercise most days of the week to stay in shape and I sit there and laugh at her and think, its too easy and anyone can do that. I am driven by the thought being able to do things that others can't or won't do. It's that simple, I guess. Granted, by no means am I the best or will I ever be the best. But just the thought of being better than I was yesterday, last week, last year is motivation for me. I set goals every year, every month, and everyday for every workout. At the root of majority of my goals are to continue to improve and never ever settle for the minimum or "good enough." When I was finishing up my college degree and doing my internship at a private sports training studio, the owner had a business vision that has always stuck with me for myself. He told me that "good enough is never good enough."

A simple way to maintain focus during events I may remember quotes or sayings but one thing that I keep in the back of my head is one or two mantras. I couldn't tell you the exact Webster definition of a mantra but its a word or a few words that aid in maintaining focus or motivation. Some mantras I've heard include, "I am prepared," "I am focused," "relaxed," "calm," or "I will be successful." The key is they should be simple and mean something to you and be able to take you to a state of mind. For me I have always used "Be fast, be strong." I always write this on my hands for big races. Usually each on each hand. But as you'll read below a new song came out this past week that had me changing my mantra. It's not a big change but it's now "Be fast, be strong, and carry on." I thought it was more fitting for the Ironman, where I'm sure there will be several times throughout the 140.6 miles that I'll want to quit or give up, but the simple thought of carry on, will keep me going..... yea I know it's lame - but hey, it works for me.

Music is another avenue of motivation. I have always had a passion for music. Starting in the 6th grade I began playing the trumpet and played throughout high school. I was actually pretty decent. I have a love for a very wide variety of music from jazz to rap, country to rock, ska, punk, classical, you name it I probably have some form of it on my iPod. I don't always use music during workouts and training as most people rely on. I find the hours of solitude rather refreshing. But I do bring my iPod with me at times. But one thing I always do is listen to my "Prerace Motivation" playlist during my travel to races and during my warm up, usually right up to getting to the start line. I do always use music during my strength sessions, basically to tune out all the meatheads grunting and talking about getting super drunk and doing stupid things - really annoying. As Eminem says in "Sing for the Moment" - They say music can alter moods and talk to you." This is exactly how I feel about music. Music can help me focus, help me relax, energize me, or even at times provide a little pick-me-up when things are down. I use relaxation music for 30-60 minutes prior to falling asleep before big races and at times when I am struggling to fall asleep.

During one of my last strength workouts listening to music I came up with the idea of sharing my monthly top 5 songs that I use during my workouts, prerace motivation, or my stretching relaxation music. So here we go the first list of music!

1. "Carry On" - Fun.
- This is the song which gave me the newest version of my mantra. Yea, the song may be about someone getting dumped by their love and feeling helplessly lost, but to me, its about feeling like you just can't go another step and can't continue and finding the strength to keep going. It's only down side its a little on the slow side, but not every song that motivates needs to be fast and in your face.

2. "Club Can't Handle Me" - Flo Rida
- Something about this song that makes me want to get out and race.

3. "It's a Long Way to the Top" - AC/DC
- Easily my biggest motivating song. In other words, it's not easy to get to the top, you got to put in the hard work, the sweat, get out when no one else will get out, when its cold, when its raining, you get the idea.

4. "Lit Up" - Buckcherry
- Another up beat song that just makes me want to race hard.

5. "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" - Dropkick Murphy's
- The deep bass of the strings at the start gives me goose bumps each time I hear it.

Probably going to put up another post or two in the upcoming days, so until then! Enjoy Thanksgiving with the people you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment