Tuesday, January 26, 2016

What's on Tap for 2016

Coming off of a year where I literally did a race each and every month, I honestly have been looking forward to a break from racing.  At the same time, I wanted to get back to a structured, planned out year.  Initially, I really wanted to try to get back into longer racing.  After finishing the 2013 Ironman Wisconsin, I was given strict rules that I would be allowed to race another Ironman until our youngest kid was fully potty-trained.  Well, that time is just around the corner.  We are figuring that Harper should be potty-trained within the next 10-12 months, tops.  Based on this assumption, I should be able to do another Ironman in 2017.

Early on during my 2016 race season planning, I had a general idea of easing my way back into long course triathlon racing.  I was eyeing up either Ironman Racine 70.3 or the Door County Half Ironman, both of which were July 17th.  I also was looking at doing a couple Olympic distance triathlons (1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run).  On top of that general plan, I really wanted to do another marathon which I haven't done since October 2014. 

But, the more I kept thinking about training for a 70.3 triathlon, the more I began to question whether or not that was really what I wanted.  Did I really want to devote the time to get to a pool at least 3 times a week?  Did I really want to figure a way to get out for 70-80 mile bike rides?  Was I really willing to sacrifice time away from my wife and more importantly my kids during our weekend camping trips to make sure I get my training in?  The more I kept asking myself these questions, the more I started thinking that I wasn't mentally ready to commit to that lifestyle.  I have been enjoying a less structured training lifestyle.  I have been enjoying spending time with my kids and allowing them to be apart of my fitness.  If I were to commit to a 70.3, my life would become exponentially more difficult.  Especially when it came to finding time to get in bike rides.  Getting in runs and swims are relatively easy.  The YMCA is generally always open when needed and I have drop-in kids care for up to 3 hours.  Sure, the Y does have a couple stationary bikes that are as good as you're going to find for mimicking a road bike bike.  But truth be told, nothing will beat or replace riding outdoors.  Outside you have to deal with wind, hills, and shifting, all of which are never even considered when you are mindlessly spinning the pedals indoors.  Another downfall with cycling, is that it is difficult to get out early in the morning to ride.  I enjoy riding on country roads opposed to city streets for the fact that you have to stop less and it is just easier to map out 20, 40, or even longer routes on straight, long, less traveled roads.  Riding on country roads in the pitch dark is not only dangerous because of other vehicles, but its hard to see what's ahead when riding in excess of 20 mph.  In addition to that downside, I can't take my kids with me on my bike rides.  At least with running, I have a running stroller for the two little ones and Maya can now bike along side.  So, if I am unable to get up early enough to run before they get up, I can either take them to the YMCA and run on a treadmill or take them with me. 

With all that being said, I have made some adjustments to my approach to 2016.  I am going to focus on running more than ever.  Ever since qualifying for the Boston Marathon at the Fox Cities Marathon after running a 3:03, I have had the goal of running a sub 3 hour marathon.  So, this year, I am going to focus early on and do my best to finally run a 2:59 marathon.  My biggest, most ambitious undertaking will running a 50 mile ultramarathon in October in Door County.  This has always been another goal that has been sitting in the back of my mind.

They say you should wright down your goals and post them for others to see.  It'll hold you accountable, it'll keep your goals at the forefront of your mind.  So below are my goals for 2016 along with my proposed race schedule.

Proposed Race Schedule

  • Oshkosh Marathon - April 24
  • Elkhart Lake Triathlon - June 11
  • Ripon Medical Center Triathlon - July 24
  • Fall 50 - October 22 

Goals for 2016

  • Run a total of 2016 miles throughout the year
  • Lose weight (goal weight of 165)
  • Finish the Fall 50
  • Run a 2:59 (or faster) marathon
  • Set a PR in the 5k (current PR is  17:42)

No comments:

Post a Comment