Saturday, December 1, 2012

Butternut Squash Lasagna

I am a huge fan of lasagna, definitely one of my favorite meals.  So when I found this recipe for Butternut Squash Lasagna, I was very excited to try it.  Both my wife and I love butternut squash as a side.  It is a great healthy vegetable and a great substitute for sweet potatoes or other starches.  Butternut squash is low in calories and is very filling.  It is also very high in Vitamin A and polyphenols.  .  I was very surprised with the amount of time it took to prepare this meal.  From start to actually sitting at the table to eat was a few minutes over 1 hour.  The fact that you need to back the diced squash for 30 minutes, give you sufficient time to prepare the other layers for the lasagna.  After letting it cool and serving it to the family, it was fantastic.  I loved it, as I expected.  Sarah, thought it was very good.  The sage came through great and the hint of nutmeg with the squash went perfectly with the cheeses.  The only change I personally would make would be to use quinoa pasta as opposed the the whole wheat noodles we used.  But, that is strictly for my desire to avoid gluten.  I definitely recommend this recipe for anyone looking for a lower calorie, meat free lasagna option.

No comments:

Post a Comment