Sunday, March 3, 2013

Paleo Pancakes

I randomly came across this recipe for wheat-free, Paleo friendly pancakes, and thought they sounded good.  So, I figured I'd try them out.  The almond flour was a little pricey, but other than that I had all of the other ingredients on hand.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup Almond Flour
  • 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour (I used my food processor to grind up coconut flakes)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/4 Water
  • 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • Coconut Oil
  • Fresh Berries

Directions

  1. Combine Almond Flour, Applesauce  Coconut Flour, Eggs, Water, Nutmeg, and Salt in a bowl and mix together completely.  The batter should appear thicker than traditional pancake batter.
  2. Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat along with some coconut oil.
  3. Drop 1/4 cup of the batter on the pan once it is fully heated and cook like a normal pancake.
  4. Top with berries or pure maple syrup.
I found that these pancakes need to cook slower than traditional pancakes.  When in doubt, turn the heat down lower.  I started at a normal temperature for pancakes and that left he pancakes done on the outside and still a little thick on the inside.  They turned out looking like normal pancakes once I turned the head down and let them cook slower/longer at the lower heat.  They tasted good, but not like traditional pancakes.  They were more dense then traditional pancakes, but still delicious.  Our 20 month old loved them and ate 4 of them!  She normally only eats 1, maybe 2 traditional pancakes.  My wife, who usually turns her head at non-traditional food, really liked them as well.  They had a flavor closer related to french toast instead of pancakes.  They will definitely be made again at our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment