Sunday, March 10, 2013

Paleo Porridge

I love oatmeal, steel cut oats are my preference.  I usually mix in a banana, raisins, honey, almond butter, flax seeds, and cinnamon.  I will also use other "cereal" grains such as teff, kaniwa, barley, wheat berries, I've even made quinoa as a breakfast in the past.  There is something about the warm creaminess, along with the ability to make a variety of flavors, that I just love.  However, grains really aren't necessarily paleo friendly.  Granted there are many worse foods out there for breakfast and majority of grains are gluten-free.  But it comes down to the fact that all grains are processed to some extent which make them non-paleo.  So, when I found this recipe for a Paleo Porridge, I immediately wanted to try it.

Ingrediants

  1. 1/2 Cup Almonds
  2. 1/2 Cup Pecans
  3. 1/2 Cup Almond Milk (or Coconut Milk)
  4. 2 Small (or 1 Large) Bananas
  5. 1 Tsp Cinnamon
  6. Berries
  7. Honey or Maple Syrup to Taste (**Optional**)

Directions

  1. Place Almonds, Pecans, Milk, Bananas, and Cinnamon into a food processor and blend until desired texture is reached.  
  2. Transfer into a saucepan to heat or microwave.
  3. Top with berries.
I was not disappointed at all!  This porridge was great.  It even tasted just like steel cut oats.  It has a definite nuttiness to it, which goes perfectly with the berries.  I topped it with some flax seeds and microwaved it to heat it up.  I think the best part was it was super easy!  It actually was probably quicker than making steel cut oats, considering the amount of time to cook the oats.  This will definitely become a staple for my morning breakfasts not surrounded by a workout, as I usually try to get more carbohydrates into my diet before/after workouts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment