Friday, August 30, 2013

Road ID App & Products

I have been wearing a Road ID bracelet now for over a year. I bought the Wrist ID Slim online for $17.99.  The price includes one laser etched metal ID tag with up to 5 lines of information.  I originally bought the bracelet for a little peace of mind for while I am out swimming, biking, or running.  But, after I got the bracelet I realized that this is something that would be good to wear all the time, especially while at work.  My bracelet has my full name with my year of birth, my hometown, state, and USA, a contact number for both my wife and father, and a simple motivation phrase - "Never Give Up!"  The bracelet is small, about the size of a LiveSTRONG bracelet and made from the same material.  The nice thing about the Road ID bracelet is they come in a variety of sizes along with a good selection of different colors.  The Slim Bands are only $1.99 for spare/extra bands and come in Black, Blue, Red, Pink, Purple, Green, and Orange.  At only $1.99, I have 3 different colors to change out depending on my mood.  The ID tag is easy to put on and take off the bands, so changing between different colored bands is a breeze.  You can ever order spare ID tags for your band, which I have also done.  I ordered a 2nd tag just for motivational quotes and mantras.  Recently Road ID has come out with Badges, which are narrow versions of an ID tag, to add some flare to your Road ID Bracelet.  Some of the badges include a 26.2 badge, 70.3 badge, a red Medical Alert symbol, among others.  Road ID bracelets are a great way to be identified during an emergency when you rarely have a form of identification on your person.  I do not leave the house without my Road ID and highly recommend checking out their website for yourself or a loved one.  They not only offer bracelets, but also have shoe ID tags, pet ID tags, and a nice variety of bracelets that you are sure to find something to your liking.
My motivation/mantra ID tag on a Wrist Band Slim.
As some of you know, I work full time as a law enforcement officer, so I know the importance of being able to identify individuals in emergency situations.  It is something you hope and pray never happen to you or a loved one, but the truth is things happen that are out of our control.  Wearing a simple bracelet or other Road ID product will insure that your loved ones will be contacted in the event of an emergency.  It's one of the easiest things to do and something I think every active person should highly consider.

This past month I learned that I was allergic to bee stings.  I was out on my bike, in the county, alone, about 15 miles away from my cabin.  My entire family was away and there was no family member within 60 miles of the cabin, let alone, my current location on my bike.  I did not have a cell phone with me, but I did have my Road ID bracelet on.  I made it home as quick as I could before seeking help.  The only peace of mind I had was that I was wearing my Road ID bracelet with my information on it.  I now know more then ever the importance of having a Road ID on at all times.  

It was ironic, but within a week of getting diagnosed with a bee allergy, I was sent an email from Road ID informing me of a new App for smart phones they released.  The app is FREE and allows your loved ones to be made aware that you are out running or biking.  The app will send them a text message when you leave with a link to a website where they can track your progress and monitor your location in real time.  The text message will inform them of how long you plan on being out and will even send a warning message if you go motionless for 5 minutes.  The app is amazing and is just as important as wearing a Road ID bracelet.  I can not stress this enough and hope that ever active person who owns a smart phone takes advantage of this great app.  Below are some screen shots from a bike ride I went on in Madison, WI (which is about 120 miles from my home).  My wife stayed home with our kids and went out biking alone.  This app was just a little peace of mind for my wife and put her worries at bay, especially since I have now been stung 3 times in the past 2 months and was going to be so far away from home without any realistic call for help, other than 911.
This can be set as your lock screen, to be seen when you turn on your phone
What the tracking website looks like, when opened on an iPhone 5.
 Please consider the app and a Road ID bracelet, they are relatively cheap, and are truthfully priceless for the safety they provide.  Below are some links for their website and the app.



No comments:

Post a Comment