Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Carving Pumpkins

Carving pumpkins is one of my favorite, once-a-year holiday traditions.  Actually, it might be my favorite.  No, by no means am I great at it, but I always try to something on my own, without a stencil.  This year, I did an owl for Sarah and a Sugar Skull for myself.  We let the girls pick out what they got on their pumpkins and Maya picked out a Hello Kitty and Delaney chose a kitty-cat.  We started carving them mid morning on Wednesday.  I decided that we would keep the pumpkin seeds this year and roast them to for a new healthy snack for the girls and I.  The recipe, if you call it that, was super simple and the seeds turned out great.  We washed all the seeds in the sink and then boiled them in salt water for 10 minutes and then roasted them at 400* until the seeds are golden brown.    We made 5 total pumpkins this year, one for each of us, plus one for "baby Kohl."  It is kind of ironic/fitting that the M-dot was on baby Kohl's pumpkin, since they were both bartered for this past year.  Below are the pumpkins - and you were foolish if you seriously thought I wasn't going to make an M-dot pumpkin.





A family of carved pumpkins
Maya's Hello Kitty
Baby Kohl's M-dot
Delaney's Kitty-Cat
Sarah's Owl
My Sugar Skull

No comments:

Post a Comment