Monday, October 14, 2013

Operation Kona

This past Saturday October 12th, 2013 was the 35th running of the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii.  It is the dream of any ultra endurance triathlete.  It is the Super Bowl of triathlons, the Boston Marathon of triathlons.  It's the pinnacle of Ironman triathlons.  I don't need to sit here and explain my dream of racing the Ironman World Championships some day - it's probably pretty obvious, especially if you've been reading my blog.  I spent a good chunk of my Saturday glued to either my iPhone or our laptop following Ironman's coverage of the World Championships.  I knew a few people who were over there racing and there were a couple of famous people out there racing an Ironman for their first time.  Ex-NFL receiver, Hines Ward and Iron Chef Gordon Ramsey each trained all year for this years Ironman Kona.  I followed their race times on my phone and then later Saturday night I watched the live streaming of the race on our lap top.  I watched the last 1-2 hours of the race.  I was able to watch the top men cross the finish line looking so strong and fast.  Belgium's Frederik Van Lierde finished in 8:12:29.  About an hour later the top female finished.  Mirinda Carfrae, from Australia, finished with a new course record of 8:52:14.  It was inspirational and motivating just watching the athletes enduring the added challenges that The Big Island brings.  Obviously, you can imagine the hot temperatures that racing in Hawaii bring, but there are also challenging cross winds during the bike that come off the ocean.  During the run, you run right past a Natural Energy Lab which increase temperatures at a very undesirable time, right around mile 20 of the marathon.  Not only is it extremely challenging just getting to the Ironman World Championships, it's that much tougher just finishing the race.


Racing the Ironman in Kona has always been a pipe dream of mine, maybe even just a bucket list item.  If you have ever read my bucket list, you'll see that #1 and #7 pertain exactly to this goal.  But, since finishing Ironman Wisconsin about a month ago I have been dead set on getting to Kona.  Why?  First, there is the obvious draw - the race is in Hawaii, the most beautiful state in the US.  There is not a single soul that would turn down a week or two in The Aloha State.  Second, there is the awe of being considered one of the best triathletes in the world.  Lastly, its a new challenge - and extremely difficult challenge.  It will not be easy.  Practically improbable.  But, I am willing to do whatever it takes.  I have never been more determined to accomplish a goal.  For those who know me know how I get when I get a goal in my head.  The same thing happened when I made it known that I wanted to qualify to run the Boston Marathon.  I had just run my second marathon.  I ran the Green Bay Marathon in 2009 with a time of 3:29:03.  The weeks after the marathon I was riding the post marathon high and I began making statements of being able to qualify for the Boston Marathon - even though I still needed to take about 20 minutes off from my time.  I was determined to run a sub 3:10 marathon and qualify.  I did what was necessary and made it happen.  In 2010 I qualified with a 3:09 at the Green Bay Marathon and then a 3:03 a few months later at the Fox Cities Marathon.  Very similar to that story, I am just over a month past finishing my first Ironman and am still riding the emotional high from finishing.  I am making the statement right here, right now, that I WILL QUALIFY FOR KONA!

Is it realistic?  Maybe not, especially since I am now entering the prime age of triathletes.  I am no longer in the 25-29 age group, beginning next year I will be in the 30-34 age group.  When looking at data the 30-34 age group has some of the fastest qualifying times among all age groups.  The chart below shows average times in each age group of athletes that have qualified for the IM World Championships in each IM race.  If you look closely, I would basically need to run a 10 hour race at IMWI (one of the toughest courses) in order to put myself in a decent position to earn a elusive Kona Slot.
In case you forgot, I ran a 11:37:09 in the 2013 IMWI.  Yup, that means I need to shave off a minuscule 1:37:09.  Nothing to it!  Ha!  So, Matt, if it is so damn-near impossible, exactly how are you going to qualify for Kona?  On top of being in one of the most competitive age groups, only 1.8% of all entrants at IMWI are able to earn a Kona slot.  Yup, you read that right, less than 2% of every IM athlete get to say they are a World Championship Qualifier.  That ain't a lot....not a lot at all!  Plus, on top of all those stats saying that it would be damn near impossible just to qualify, the competition is always getting more fierce.  To think that I am the only one sitting here crunching numbers on what I need to do to qualify for Kona is just foolish.  There you have it, every stat I can find say it is highly improbable, if not impossible for a guy like me to straight up qualify for the IM World Championships - But, hey, if were easy, it wouldn't be so prestigious!

Well, let's take a step back and look at this goal realistically.  First, I realize, exactly, the toll training for IMWI took on Sarah.  I wrote all about the added stress I put on our family in "The Truth Behind the Training." - So there's no secret there.  Secondly, not only was the time away from the family hard on Sarah and I, but the financial commitment is often over looked.  For instance, check out this graphic on the right for a rough estimate on the costs of completing an Ironman.  So, what exactly is my plan to get to Kona?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  My plan is simple really.  First and foremost, I need to get Sarah's support.  Part of getting Sarah's support is her agreeing to me doing no more than 2 full Ironman races at one point or another.  Of the two IM races, one is Kona.  So, really she needs to agree to allow me to do one more IMWI - that's it.  I will not ask to do another IM race until I am retired from my job, I promise.  Once I get the stamp of approval, I will begin training and devoting my life to qualifying for the Ironman World Championships.  I will train within and around my life.  I will not fit my family and life around my training, but rather fit training around my family and life.  I will continue to run 1-2 marathons and 1-2 half Ironman traithlons in a season.  I will train my weaknesses and devote my training to turning my body into an efficient triathlon power house.  I know that my weakness is cycling.  It was exploited at IMWI.  Sure, I had a decent bike split of 5:50 (19.2 mph ave) but I worked too hard during the bike, causing my run to suffer.  I need to continue to increase my cycling fitness and grow that fitness much like I have done with my run fitness over the past 5-10 years.  I need to just maintain my swim form and technique over the year and I am sure my swim fitness will increase slightly over the years.  My run fitness is good where it is at, so I will just need to maintain my run fitness.  With some diligent, devoted cycling training, I feel I can do this, I can qualify for Kona.



I will continue to train until I feel as I am ready to run a 10:00 IM.  When looking at my splits from IMWI this past year (1:13//5:50//4:20) and comparing them to my projected splits (1:05//5:50//3:30) I figure that a 10 hour IM is a stretch, but obtainable.  If I am able to become a cycling powerhouse I figure I could put together a 10 hour IM with splits that break down like this: Swim: 1:05, Bike: 5:12 Run: 3:30, along with 10 minutes for transitions.  The projected swim and run splits are the same as what I was shooting for this past year and I still feel those were realistic, it's just my bike split did not match my fitness to allow me to run a 3:30 marathon.  In order to put up a 5:12 bike split, I need to average 21.5mph over the entire 112 miles.  Yup, that's flying!  Over the next 4-5 years (roughly) I will push the limits on my bike and ride more then I have in past years.  I will work in specific workouts such as tempo rides, sprints, and hill work.  I will also include long bricks and even try to do some long rides before marathons to increase my specific bike-to-run fitness.  Then, as soon as I feel I am ready and fit enough to do a 10 hour IM, I will register for IMWI and Operation Kona will be in full effect.  I will then train my ass off and devote that year to qualifying to Kona.  If everything goes well, I can secure a Kona slot and begin planning our trip to the Big Island the following year.  If it doesn't go my way and I don't earn a Kona slot.  I will step back and say I tried, I gave it my all and it wasn't meant to be.  Without questions, I would be crushed.  I am not saying I am a quitter, I hate that word, it's not in my dictionary.  I don't quit, I wouldn't ever give up.  But, I do not have the financial resources or the family dynamics that allow me to complete an IM each and every year until I qualify.  There is just no way for that to happen.  I need to be realistic and honest with myself.  If I were to fail at my qualifying attempt, I would simply rely on the slim chance of being selected in the annual lottery for a Kona slot.  These slots are offered to a very slim few each year.  As a rough estimate, only about 2% of entrants in the Kona Lottery get selected each year.

So there you have it - My extremely ambitious goal of qualifying for Kona.  All laid out in a few simple steps.  Now if only fulfilling my goal were as easy as planning it out.

Never, never, never give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment