Thursday, October 10, 2013

A Simple Update

Just wanted to get caught up since I last posted about everything.  Not that there is a lot going on, but hey, pictures are always good, right?

Since finishing the apple cleanse this past Monday, my new diet has been a learning experience.  I have never eaten so few carbohydrates.  I have found myself staying satiated longer by eating more protein and fat, but at the same time, I am realizing exactly how much carbohydrate I have eaten in the past.  My goal is to get around 100g-150g of carbs per day, which sounds like a lot, but really, it ain't too much.  Trust me, they add up quickly.  I have cut out pretty much all fruits, grains, and any of my usual staples, such as bars, pastas, yogurts, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Majority of my carbohydrates are coming from avocados (about 10g-15g), carrots, and other vegetables.  My current weight as of Thursday morning is 173.8, not bad, considering I was just 180, but still a ways off from my goal of 155.  With Thursday being my first night off, I am trying to not eat anything other than a cup of BulletProof Coffee, which I had for lunch after waking up from my short nap.  I added a pinch of cocoa powder along with the usual cinnamon, grass fed butter, and coconut oil.  It kept me awake and alert, not to mention, full, until dinner time with the family that night.  I plan on using BulletProof Coffee more often as a way to stay satiated and energized while on this high fat diet.  I'm sure after a 2-3 weeks of following this protocol, I will figure things out and it will eventually become second nature.


I have still been working out sporadically as I see fit.  I did put together a simple training plan to bring me through Thanksgiving for the Turkey Trot 5 mile run.  My plan is simple, really.  I have a 5-6 mile fartlek run on Tuesday, a shorter easy jog ranging from 4-6 on Thursday, and a longer 6-8 mile aerobic paced run on Sunday.  I then sprinkled in some rest days, swim days, and bike days between the runs days.  I realize that a training plan isn't really necessary for an off season, but I need direction and feel at ease when I have everything planned out.  My workouts have been going good, pretty relaxed.  I have found that I feel a little different, not sure if it's the lack of carbohydrates in my system or just the fact that my training volume is a small fraction of what it used to be.  Either way, I'm enjoying the break from the insane high volumes and spending the extra time with my two beautiful daughters.  I can't lie though.  Not an hour goes by where I am not either thinking of my 2014 race season (schedule and goals) or my Ironman race day.  I've tried putting races out of my mind, just for a day, but for what ever reason, I just can't.  I guess there's worse things to be addicted to...

Maya's school has been going really well.  She absolutely LOVES it.  And I love it too.  I love having her come home and telling me all about what she learned about and seeing all her projects, it makes me smile from ear to ear.  Delaney, is still Delaney.  Rambunctious, active, creative, and constantly learning.  She loves coloring and playing with her Little People Princesses with their castle - and frankly, Sarah and I love watching her play.  But if Delaney knows we're watching, she locks up and gets shy.  Maya turns 4 on October 13th, which is crazy in and of itself.  We are having a joint birthday party at an indoor water park close to our home with her nephew (my Godson) Bradyn on Saturday.  She is super excited about getting to play with her cousin, and of course, get a lot of presents.  

Below are some photos from my morning trail runs on the Wiouwash State Trail.





I have waited WAY too long to have some good beer in my IM pint glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment