Friday, September 6, 2013

Thank You Sarah!

Dear Sarah,

It's finally here, Ironman Wisconsin.  It came quick, no doubt.  At the same time, that was probably the longest, most stressful year our family as endured.  I apologize for all the unnecessary stress and fights that I have caused over the past year due to my training.  But more than anything, I want to thank you.  Thank you for your support, your time, your understanding, and most importantly your love.

A little over a year ago, you begrudgingly gave me the stamp of approval to register for the 2013 Ironman Wisconsin.  You knew how much this race meant to me, but you also knew what was required to prepare for a 140.6 mile race.  All the words in the world will not give back this past year and what we may or may not have missed out on, but I figured a simple thank you letter would be a good place to start.

This past year never really got off to a good start after you realized that I had officially registered and dropped over $700 just to sign up for the race.  But, again, you knew what the race meant to me and we moved on.  Registering for this even alone was the most selfish thing I have ever done.  Don't get me wrong, I had mixed emotions when I signed up.  I was both extremely excited and at the same time guilty, knowing how much time and money I would be putting towards this event.

In the middle of December, my training officially started.  It started easy, with no real sacrifices and no significant training volume.  From there, my training continued to increase, from 8-9 hour weeks all the way up to 22+ hours in a week....all while working full time.....with a wife and 2 kids.  There is absolutely no way in hell I would have been able to do that without you.  Truth is, for the past 5 months, from when I started training seriously with high volume, you have been a single parent.  I have been little to no help around the house, with the pets, and most importantly with the girls.  It amazes me that, first, you haven't murdered me yet, and second, that you did it with minimal complaining.  And don't get me wrong any complaining you did, was completely warranted.

Not only have you been a single parent for the past 5-6 months, you came to most of my races and cheered me on to the finish.  Granted some of these races were shorter distance races and did not require a large time commitment.  But, still you where there.  You gave up a full weekend for a single day of watching me race.  Those weekends could have been spent camping at a state park, staying at a water park in Wisconsin Dells, visiting our friends in the Twin Cities, or taking the girls to a zoo or park.  But, you gave that up to watch me race.  Some of the races were a bigger time commitment and required a certain degree of travel.  Last October you woke up, got yourself ready, and dealt with two sleepy/cranky girls and drove down to Milwaukee to watch the Lakefront Marathon which started at 7am.  You would travel the course by car getting out every 4-8 miles just to see me run by in the blink of an eye.  In May you did the same routine only now in Green Bay, even though immediately following the race you jumped back in the car to drive down to Milwaukee to watch your brother, Jake, graduate from UW-Milwaukee.  In June, again, at High Cliff for a 5 hour Half Ironman race at High Cliff.  I am extremely grateful to have you at my races and I simply can not put into words how much it means to me for all you do.  Seeing you at the races, and hearing Maya and Delaney cheer brings a smile to my face and certain sense of motivation to keep going.

As if racing nearly every weekend wasn't enough to drive you insane, my training has taken it's toll on our family this year.  Due to my work schedule and getting only 1.5 weekends off a month, a free weekend for our family is tough to come by.  This summer, I wasn't willing to give up any of my weekends, whether or not they actually fell onto a true weekend.  My training was more important to me then taking time to get away with you and the girls.  You went on multiple family camping trips with our extended families without me, leaving me at home.  You went out to the lake for a day or two over the weekends while I stayed home and trained.  I lost count of how many different zoos and farms you brought the girls to while I stayed home and trained for countless hours.  Part of me thinks, "well, at least you didn't lose a step without me."  While another part of me thinks, "how does she do it?"

You are an amazing person, Sarah.  You mean the world to me.  Without you and your support I would not be able to do a quarter of what I do.  You have allowed me to be extremely selfish with my free time, our money, and your free time this past year.  There is no way to put a value on the time and money I have taken away from you and the girls this year and for that I am sincerely sorry.  At the same time, I can not say thank you enough for letting me pursue my dream of becoming an Ironman.

I would be foolish to think if you were the only person who made sacrifices over the past year, or if you were the only person effected by my training.  I also need to thank the following people for all they have done!

Lisa Flasch (sister-in-law) - for helping Sarah be a single parent, for watching the girls while I would go workout, and for simply being the best, most loving aunt to our two girls.

Carol Wierschke (my aunt and our babysitter) - for giving up your off days to watch the girls, not while I work, but while I would go out and train.  Thank you so much!

Rich and Mary Jo Kohl (my parents) - for helping out when needed to watch the kids and for helping Sarah during our week of vacation at the lake while I was MIA on my bike and out running or swimming.

Tom and Barb Shekfa (my in-laws) - also for watching the kids when needed so I was able to go out and train.  Also for helping Sarah while I stayed home from the camping trips to train.  I truly appreciate your love and support!

Andy and Lindsay Shefka - for letting me crash at your house for the couple days before the race.  I really appreciate it and hope I didn't interfere too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment