Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Other Side of the Curb

Today was the running of the Fox Cities Marathon.  In past years, I am usually wearing a race bib and participating.  But not today.  Today, I would be on the other side of the curb as a spectator.  It has been years since I last watched a race from the sidewalks.  The last race I watched was the Green Bay Marathon back in 2006, over 7 years ago!  I watched my dad run that marathon and qualify for the Boston Marathon for the first time.  Back then I was just starting to gain interest in endurance sports.  I really didn't have the passion I do now for endurance sports.  I also didn't have the appreciation for what it takes to prepare for such events.

This year, however, would be different.  My race season came to an end two weeks ago following Ironman Wisconsin.  This is the earliest my race season has ever ended.  If you have read my last post, "Post Ironman Depression," you know how I've been handling the down time.  If not, let's just say it's been hard and different.  But, since posting the update, things have been getting better.  My mood has been on the up and up.  I have been starting to look into new races to do in 2014 and I have been getting more and more excited.  I have also been talking to friends about how I've been feeling along with teammates and other people who have been in my position before - which has helped greatly.  Also, simply writing the post about how I've been feeling seemed to help.  But, today, I got some unexpected therapy.
My good friend from work, Bob and his wife, Sadie, were running in the Fox Cities Half Marathon.  This was Sadie's first ever half marathon, so I really wanted to get out to the course to offer some support to bother her and Bob.  Bob was gunning for a finish around 1:30, while Sadie was hoping for a time under 2:10.  I had worked the night before for 12 hours and finished work at 6am.  The race started at 7am, so, my first hope was to get to the start line and watch them take off.  I got to the start line around 6:45 and was lucky to find Bob and Sadie.  It was a cool morning, with temps below 50, but ultimately it was a perfect day for a marathon/half marathon.  Both Bob and Sadie, were doing well, nervous, anxious, and excited.  I had thought I would have hated being in that atmosphere without actually running, but it was the exact opposite.  I was excited to be there and fed off the excitement from all the runners.  It was great to be there as a spectator.  I have never been in that position before.  I enjoyed it.  Don't get me wrong, I would have rather been running, but it fun to be there supporting the runners.

After watching the race start, I jumped in my car and drove to mile 2.5.  I was there early enough to watch the race leaders go by and I stayed there until both Bob and Sadie passed.  They were just getting into their comfort zone for the remaining 10-11 miles.  Right after they ran by, I headed to mile 7 and got there early enough to watch a lot of runners pass by.  Bob ran by right on pace for a 1:30 finish and he looked fresh and strong.  A little while later Sadie went by looking just as good and she looked like she was having fun.

While waiting for Sadie to run by I got to see so many runners pass by.  It was during this time I had a ton of thoughts go through my mind.  I hope I don't come off conceited, but all of my races, I am usually in the front packs of runners.  I start races in the lead groups to avoid the crowds and try to finish with the lead groups.  I am always a part of the race, pulling energy from the spectators, never have I been on the curb just watching runners pass by.  I saw a wide range of runners all with different goals.  I saw the lead runners who share similar goals as I do, very specific goals, with precise paces and strategies.  I saw runners who had general goals of finishing under certain time.  I saw running who had private goals of just finishing.  I also saw runners who had very simplistic goals, such as just having fun and enjoying the camaraderie of the other runners and enjoying the atmosphere of having crowds of people throughout the entire run.  They would be running with friends and family members.  They would be chatting, laughing, and having fun.  It was completely different from what I was used to seeing.  It was refreshing.  It was inspiring.  It was a completely new and different side of races.

Like I said, it was refreshing.  It inspired me and reminded me what endurance sports are all about.  It's not about the time, even for the elite runners.  Sure, it's nice to place or finish under your predetermined goal time.  But, there's more to it than that.  It's about the journey that brings you the finish line.  It's about the "stuff" that comes between the clock starting and the clock stopping.  Every race brings new challenges.  They always have many ups and downs.  You never know what a race will bring.

Watching this race was exactly what I needed to shake this funk I was in.  It was entertaining, it was inspiring, and it was motivating.  So congratulations to all the finishers today in all races across the country!  I hope all racers found some joy in their races and are proud for simply getting to the start line and having the courage to start the race.  Also congratulations to Bob who finished in 1:31 and Sadie who crushed her first time goal with a time of 2:07!

Be fast, be strong, and carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment