Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Reflections

It's hard to believe but I have already published 99 blog posts.  Now, I'm no genius, but that would make this post number 100.  As soon as post #100 was on the horizon, I started to think what my 100th post will entail.  Maybe a Race Report - that would require a race at the right time, maybe a great recipe - there really isn't anything special about that, maybe a family update - again, nothing really unique, or maybe a flashback post - maybe a Race Report of my first ever triathlon or first duathlon, that would be unique and flashy.  But, then I went out for a run this morning in the cold, windy rain.  As miserable as you would think running in the rain with 10-15 mph winds and 50 degree temperatures would be, it was actually a very thoughtful run.  I began thinking about my next blog post, which in turn, had me thinking about my blog and what it has become.  I then realized what my 100th post would be about - a refection post about where I have been, where my family has been throughout the past 14 months since I started this blog.

I originally started this blog with the idea that I would do it for a year, just while I was training for my first Ironman.  I wanted to document the journey, the ups, the downs, the successes, the failures, everything.  I wanted something to look back on after it was all done.  But, here I sit, 2 months after Ironman Wisconsin, and I still have my blog and I still write regularly.  When I started my blog it had a typical .blogspot url and a rather simple page layout.  Now, it has its own .com and along with a visually appealing layout.  My first post was back on September 11th, 2012.  It was simple, it explained my reasons for starting a blog and told my story of registering for Ironman Wisconsin.  It started out with minimal page views.  Today, I get about 1,000-1,500 page views per month.  I have received emails from complete strangers asking for training and nutrition advice, to which I gladly respond back.  I have even had complete strangers come up to me at races or while out training and say that they have been following my blog and introduce themselves.  It's actually rather humbling that other people have enjoyed my posts.  Thank you to those who read and continue to read my blog, especially if you have actually read all my posts, as I know I have the tendency to ramble.  :)

Since I began blogging, my focus has changed.  I still enjoy blogging about my training and racing, sharing recipes, and posting about my family life.  I have gained a passion for educating and inspiring others to make a change in their lives; a change for the better, a change to lead a healthier, more active lifestyle.  I have known since I was 16 or 17 that I wanted to have a career in health and fitness.  I loved working at the YMCA after college as a Health and Fitness Coordinator.  I was able to share my passion of health and fitness with so many people.  But, I was forced to change careers for financial reasons and now I am a full time Patrol Officer with a demanding job.  This blog is my way to stay connected with health and fitness and share my passion with others.

Over the past year this blog has been an outlet to share my life, both the good and bad.  I don't sugar coat my life, I don't chose to write about the positive and joyful things in my life.  I lay myself out there, I am me.  Hell, just recently I wrote about my dream to race at the Ironman World Championships (Operation Kona), which led to a huge disparity between me and the one's I love.  Within a week or two, I had to come back and explain how I let my emotions and dreams take priority over my wife and kids (Taking a Step Back).  Today, as I look back on those two posts, I feel as though they are the exact reason why I continue to keep up with my blog.  I have found a joy in writing, almost as a way for me to reflect on my life, where I have been, and where I am going.  Growing up, I despised writing, I hated it.  But then again, I also hated running in high school.  Writing has become a way for me to express myself and stay in touch with so many friends and family, as life has taken us in so many different directions.

As I look back on the time span since I started my blog, so many things have happened.  It's hard to comprehend everything that has happened over the past 14 months but in reality, a lot of things have changed, including me.  First, there's the obvious changes, Sarah, Maya, Delaney, and I are all another year older - duh.  Then there's life's big changes, this past summer Sarah and I learned that we will be having our third child, it still amazes me.  I still have to just sit and think to realize that I am a father, let a long a father to a 4 and 2 year old, and now Sarah and I will be welcoming another new born into our lives in just about 4 months.  Over the past year, I have spent a TON of time and money training to finish my first Ironman.  And, frankly, I have neglected many things during that time frame, including my wife and kids.  I am not proud of that, not at all.  Don't get me wrong, completing Ironman Wisconsin was a dream come true and is literally one of the greatest days of my life.  But, in the end, really who cares if I am and "Ironman" or not, what really matters is what kind of father I was and what kind of husband I was to Sarah.  Sure, being an Ironman has taught me a lot - the stereotypical drive, determination, and the never give up mentality.  But, at my funeral, who is going to sit there and tell stories of my Ironman journey?  Yea, no one.  It still is me, it's who I am.  But, over the past year, not only did I learn about myself during my journey to becoming and Ironman, I also learned the important of time.  Time with family and friends. Time spent teaching your kids.  Time relaxing.  Time enjoying your hobbies and passions.  There are only 24 hours in a day, everyone gets the same amount of time each day.  It's what you do with those hours that make you who you are.  It's what separates successful people and the unsuccessful.  It separates the good parents and the great parents.


Don't get me wrong here, I still plan on training and racing, it's me, it is who I am and most likely who I will always be.  Will I do another Ironman?  Yea, I'm sure I will.  Will I race Kona?  Realistically, probably not, but a man is still allowed to dream, right?  I am who I am.  I am constantly learning every day.  I am by no means a perfect husband (Sarah will be the first to tell you that).  I am not a perfect father either.  Everyday I strive to be good great, but I am going to make mistakes.  But I guarantee I'm going to learn from those mistakes.  I'm going to be a better person because of it.  I'll continue to write about it too, every step of the way.  So here's to my first 100 posts, and hopefully a hundred more!

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment